How to Keep Your Crystal Chandeliers Clean
“What’s the best part of the living room of your home?” “The crystal chandelier” could be your answer. This is because you understand the beauty of the exquisite lighting fixture and you recall the effort you have put in selecting the best one for your home. However, the chandelier will cease to be the center of attraction, if you neglect its upkeep and allow microscopic debris to accumulate on it over time. What are the ways to keep your crystal chandelier clean and sparkling?
Find the answers in this blog-post by the experts at Divano Furniture – a trusted provider of furniture, table lamps and crystal lighting in Mississauga.
Importance of Planning When to Clean
Before we get down to the process of cleaning crystal chandeliers, you need to understand certain things. The first thing is to plan when to clean a chandelier. If it is placed near the main doorway, then it is more prone to catch the dust and dirt. This layer of dirt eventually shrouds the initial luster of the finishing of the crystals. There are a number of places to hang your crystal chandelier, but the rules for cleaning them remains the same.
Things to Consider Before Cleaning
Depending on the complexity of the hanging-patterns of the chandeliers, you need to understand how the entire structure fits together before you even start cleaning. You can use the help of a quick diagram to memorize the design, or just click a picture of it.
You require a few basic supplies when you are planning to clean the fixture; a step ladder for reaching the ceiling, lint-free cloths to clean the crystals, and pads or drop cloths, or large plastic sheets to cover the floor. It is also a smart idea to turn the power completely off, right at the circuit breaker box.
Ways to Clean a Crystal Chandelier
There are two ways of cleaning a chandelier; crystal-on method and crystal-off method. If you are going for a more thorough cleaning, then you need to take all the crystal and glass off the chandelier. This way you can reach every remote place of the frame. If your chandelier does not need such thorough cleaning, then keeping the crystal or glass on is a better and quicker way.
Methods in Detail
· The Drip-Dry Method
You can use glass cleaners or special chandelier spray cleaners for this method.
- Switch off the light for safety purposes. Then take the lamps out and put tissue paper inside the sockets to prevent any liquid from getting in the circuits.
- Spray the liquid cleaner all over the chandelier. You need to spray as much as required so that it can drip off the dirt from the fixture.
- Always use a dust mask to protect yourself from inhaling the mist created by the spray.
- Let the light fitting dry out and then take the tissues out of the plug.
- Wait for a while, until it has been completely dried out. After that, you can put the bulbs back on.
- Give the bulbs a good wipe over too.
· The Glove Method
When it comes to cleaning your crystal or glass chandeliers, the glove method causes less of a mess. You would require some white cotton gloves and a solution of chandelier cleaner. Always remember to turn the power off before attempting anything.
- Place the step ladder underneath the lighting fixture first.
- Then, wear the gloves and take the solution in your fingertips.
- Run your fingertips very gently along the crystals.
- Repeat the process, and change the solution of the bowl as needed.
- Even the cleanest of fingers can leave a mark on crystals, so using gloves is mandatory to retain the beauty of the product.
· Organic Alternatives to Crystal Cleaning
You can use apple cider vinegar as a homemade chandelier cleaner too. Just mix one cup of water with an equal amount of apple cider vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle. Then gently keep spraying on the crystals to give them a good cleaning. If you have a newer model, then wiping is not necessary. Just repeat the process in the same way as mentioned above, and leave them to dry out.
· Remove the Crystals Completely
If you have been neglecting the maintenance of your chandelier for quite some time, then there is no other option left, but to take the crystals down completely and give the fitting a thorough wash. This can be very tedious, but the end result is guaranteed to be satisfactory. It is advisable to have a note to remind you about the placements of each crystal.
All the aforementioned methods of cleaning your crystal chandelier may sound like a lot of effort, but if you plan out the entire process, then it can be smoothly done. Even after cleaning, keep them well-dusted once every month to keep the beauty of the product.